How to build a hovercraft with a leafblower lift engine
How to build a hovercraft with a leafblower as the lift engine:
Depending on your motor power and required lift, this hovercraft will lift a kid (or two) no problem. Whoever takes the ride, make sure there's adult supervision around!
Willam Beaty's ultra-simple leafblower hovercraft:
- Plywood hover platform, about a meter (3'-4') in diameter, 1 c"m (1/2") thick
- Heavy plastic (polyethylene) sheet – this will act as the air cushion skirt
- Leafblower or vacuum – your lift engine
- Drill (for construction only!)
- Fender washer(s), bolt, nut, and small disk (to connect everything together)
On his blog, Chris Palmer features photos with his son Cameron and a step-by-step account of their project. Chris based his hovercraft on William Beaty's ultra-simple plans, and only needed to buy one extra tool to get the job done! Read his blog post here.
Teachers are hovercrafterz too !
This great presentation of constructions plans for a single person hovercraft comes from the Virginia Instructors of Physics (VIP) people.
Hoverboard project with detailed instructions from tech wiz Jason Bradbury in the UK.
Back to Hovercrafterz home > from How To Build a Hovercraft